The Manufacturing Growth Programme
by Jo Shaer, on April 27, 2017
The Manufacturing Growth Programme Grant scheme has been live since the end of 2016 and provides free advice and support to established SME manufacturers who want to grow by increasing turnover or jobs and/or introduce new products/services/processes.
The Programme is available in the following regions:
- New Anglia LEP - Norfolk and Suffolk through New Anglia Growth Hub
- South East LEP - Southend, Thurrock, Essex, East Sussex, Kent and Medway through Best Growth Hub
- Hertfordshire LEP
- Humber LEP
- Leeds City Region LEP
- Greater Lincolnshire LEP
- York, North Yorkshire & East Riding LEP
- Leicester and Leicestershire LEP
- Black Country LEP
- Coventry and Warwickshire LEP
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull LEP
- The Marches LEP
- Northamptonshire LEP
- South East Midlands LEP
- Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire LEP
- Worcestershire LEP
What is a manufacturer?
A manufacturer, is defined as:
“A business that engages in any economic activity directly related to a product or production process they have researched, designed or produced, or otherwise hold core intellectual property in.” If businesses are unsure if they meet this definition, please get in touch with the MGP team.
Which manufacturers can apply?
You must be an SME as defined by the EU definition. This means your company or group of companies must have:
a. Fewer than 250 employees
b. A turnover less than or equal to €50 million OR
c. A balance sheet total less than or equal to €43 million
You must NOT be in:
- Fishery and aquaculture
- Primary production, processing and marketing of agricultural products
- Coal, steel and shipbuilding
- Synthetic fibres
What the MGP means for manufacturing SMEsIf you are an SME manufacturer, the Manufacturing Growth programme provides many advantages for you, including:
- An independent business review to identify opportunities for business improvement and growth
- A detailed action plan guiding you through the process of improving your business
- Access to matched industry experts to provide consultancy and/or coaching tailored to your needs
- Access to grants to co-fund your growth/improvement project
How much can be claimed?The grant is funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to support the costs of working with an external expert/coach of your choice to implement a pre-agreed Growth/Improvement Action plan. An average project value of £4,000 of support would attract a 35% Grant contribution = £1400 (Minimum grant applications accepted: £350).
Larger grants may be considered for exceptional cases (subject to panel approval) for projects demonstrating significant job/new product growth and higher level of applicant contribution (ie >65%).
The scope of the Growth/Improvement plan will be specific to each applicant’s growth needs and will be agreed in advance with a Manufacturing Growth Manager.
What can Manufacturers use this Grant for?
- Expert consulting/coaching input – to analyse, recommend and support implementation of a Growth/Improvement Plan
- Associated other expenditure specifically related to achieving a Growth/ Improvement objective (eg small equipment, preparation for accreditation costs etc)
Grant supported Growth/Improvement projects must be completed, paid and claimed for within 4 months of grant confirmation.
SME beneficiaries are at liberty to select any consultant/coach of their choice provided they can evidence adherence to EU procurement rules requiring them to invite a minimum of 3 quotations for the work and justify value for money in their selection.
Find out more about the Manufacturing Growth Programme Grant scheme by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org